"Barottoli" takes its name from Count "Baroti" of the "Scialenga": actually, the origin of this farmhouse is
linked to the Scialenghi family and to the Baroti Counts.
In the 11th century, the Scialenghi, a noble coterie, exercised its political and military power over a vast area of the Sienese-Aretina territory; since the 12th century, as a result of a series of dynastic struggles, the original Scialenghi family split into a series of parental ramifications.
As a consequence, this event implied the fragmentation of their heritage, so some properties and some lands of the Scialenghi passed to a direct parental ramification of them, the Baroti Counts.
Afterward, both the Baroti Counts and the subsequent owners modified the farmhouse structure for their own purposes; even today, these changes appear clear and unequivocal.
For example, its massive structure, consisting of a central core spreading out into an east and west wing with the wonderful tower, show that, during the feudal period, the building was used as a "small fortress" controlling the surrounding area.
From 1600 until 1800, the farmhouse was inhabited by large families - up to 11 members - working the land related to the building and looking after the cattle: the housing use of Barottoli led to the construction of an external brick oven, a small balcony with two arches and a large internal fireplace: these structures are still visible and integrated in its wonderful and particular "small fortress" appearance.